2011年2月4日金曜日

Presentation in small classes using rubric



Other than big classes like English1, 2, Reading, my school has a variety of small classes. I am in charge of OC1 for 1st and PCLL for 2nd grade students. With several presentation activities set during this school year, students seem to get used to this kind of activities step by step. They were at first very shy and didn't like to speak out in front of other classmates, but now they appear to take these tasks for granted.

1st grades students did an activity called "poster presentation" where they made their own poster displaying what they would like to sell such as clothes, cars, toys. Then they showed their poster in front of their classmates and explained their items they would like to sell.

2nd grade students are now preparing for activities called "Telephone conversation" where they make a basic format on which they express themselves and get their massage across with their partner. They don't know who will be their partner by the presentation day. It means they will have to improvise to keep on their conversation, though they can prepare for something because of the basic format.

I like to use a rubric to evaluate students' performance. It has information of both benchmark(perspective) and criteria. The former means what I want to see and check on their performance and the latter means how much they can do based on the benchmark. Using this rubric, of course I can avoid depending on my feeling too much, but at the same time, students can focus on their evaluation while other students perform.

Also I do not forget to videotape their presentation. I can review what they did precisely, and moreover students tend to be motivated to do their best in front of such a tool.

My students taking the classes of like what I said above are not in the "high" level, but they are generally positive to take part in those activities. I would like to set such an output-oriented tasks to help them develop their English fluency.

0 件のコメント: